Thursday, August 19, 2010

Scouting report, Austin Hancock


Name: Austin Hancock
School: Peters Township
Year: Senior
Position: Quarterback/Linebacker
Height: 6-3
Weight: 225
By the numbers: Hancock emerged as one of the WPIAL's better dual-threat quarterbacks during his junior season – his second full year as the Indians' starting quarterback.

In leading Peters Township to its first winning record since 2003, Hancock earned second-team all-conference honors and was selected to the Observer-Reporter Elite 11. Hancock passed for 1,298 yards with 12 touchdowns and rushed for 441.

"For a quarterback that can run, he's a little bit shifty for a big kid," Peters Township coach Nick Milchovich said. "There's a lot of things we can do with him."

Lining up: At the Class AAAA level, quarterbacks are usually just that – quarterbacks. Occasionally, a quarterback doubles as a defensive back.

When Hancock was needed on defense in the past, he often played free safety until colleges started to believe his future may be at outside linebacker. These days, Hancock is cut from a similar mold to former Canon-McMillan standout Doug Rheam – a tough, hard-nosed quarterback who can run, throw and deliver the big hit.

Hancock's dedication to offseason work has helped him form a build comparable to his favorite quarterback – Tim Tebow.

"I've always liked lifting, always liked being in the weight room. It's just something I like doing," Hancock said. "Just because I play quarterback doesn't mean I don't have to lift."

Getting looks: Hancock does not have an official offer to date but several schools are interested.

MAC schools including Ohio, Toledo and Bowling Green are in touch with Hancock, as are Big Ten schools Penn State and Michigan State.

"I'm going to Penn State for a couple games this year. Michigan State is supposed to come in for a conference game this year," Hancock said. "And I'm talking to (Division) I-AA schools like Bucknell and Villanova. There's a variety of schools."

Tale of the tape: Since linebacker is a relatively new position for Hancock, who came up to the varsity as a ninth grader, Peters Township's non-conference games could be important for his Division I hopes.

"A lot of schools want to see me play linebacker too and I don;t have much tape because I played free safety most of the time," Hancock said. "I did play some linebacker last year, I just don't have much tape. So, the school want me to see me play linebacker a little bit. Really, the first four games are key."

A two-sport standout: Hancock has started on Peters Township's baseball team since his freshman year and his junior season was good enough that it got people thinking Division I baseball could be a possibility.

"I've had so many people tell me that after last year but, I don't know," Hancock said. "If I was playing football and I had a chance to try out for the (baseball) team as a walk-on or something, it's something I'd consider."

No comments: