One half of the section season remains and some things are becoming clear when it comes to local WPIAL basketball.
Here's what I've learned to date:
1. Peters Township is more than the best local team. The Indians might be the best team in the WPIAL, at least through the first six weeks of the season. With Player of the Year candidate Nick Wilcox leading the way, Peters Township is 11-1 overall and 4-0 in Section 4-AAAA. That's the best record in the classification and it's come against a difficult schedule.
2. Wash High and South Fayette are good. Plus the other top teams in Class AA don't look unbeatable. For some reason, however, the Prexies can't win at Monessen and the Lions can't win at North Catholic. Then again, Monessen and North Catholic are two of the better Class AA teams.
3. Trinity has a legitimate opportunity to win the Section 5-AAA championship. The Hillers' rally from a 17-point second-half deficit against Belle Vernon was an inspired effort – the type that can define a season.
4. OK, so Serra Catholic is the top team in Class A. Who's second? Sewickley Academy? Clairton? Lincoln Park? OLSH? Carmichaels? How about Bentworth?
The Bearcats scored a big victory Friday night when they rallied to beat Carmichaels. It's time to recognize a strong coaching job by Bob Kennedy. Bentworth lost four starters and about 90-95 percent of its offense from last year's PIAA quarterfinalist. At 4-1 in Section 2-A, the Bearcats are tied with the Mikes for first place.
1. In the bold statement department, Washington's Jocelyn Floyd is the best girls defensive player I've seen at the high school level.
2. The two teams primed for postseason runs are both in Class A. Fort Cherry and Monessen both sit high in the Observer-Reporter rankings. The trouble is, getting to the WPIAL championship means that teams like Vincentian Academy and North Catholic will have to lose.
3. Peters Township needs a No. 3 option. Emily Correal is facing more junk defenses than any other local player. Samantha Higgins has turned into a strong second option but a third will be needed if the Indians are to get back into the WPIAL playoff picture.