Thursday, September 20, 2007

Patting myself on the back

A lot of odd looks came my way during the 2005 and 2006 football seasons when I told people the only other WPIAL quarterback I saw with as strong an arm as Trinity's Cody Endres was former Penn Hills standout Anthony Morelli, now in his senior year at Penn State.

Endres puts some serious zing on tricky sideline patterns and could throw the ball a quarter-mile (sorry, Napolean Dynamite reference. Uncle Rico rules!) Seriously, Endres has a big-league arm. His stats suffered some due to a lack of playmakers at receiver, particularly last year. Give him the guys Jim Gallagher (the best Washington Co. athlete I've covered in my days at the O-R) had to throw to at Peters Township and Endres may have had 2,000-yard seasons.

And now Endres is third-string QB at Connecticut as a freshman and he'll return to the area Saturday when the Huskies play Pitt at Heinz Field. UConn wants to redshirt Endres and plans to groom his as its QB of the future.

Read more about the guy who Ed Dalton says, "forced me to become a better football coach" in Friday's O-R.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good article. Good luck to him at Conn.