Watched an interesting piece on ESPN's "Outside The Lines" Sunday morning. The show's centerpiece discussed the effects AAU or club basketball has had on the high school game.
Some interesting points for and against club basketball.
In the "for" category:
1. Makes it easier for college coaches to recruit.
2. Provides greater competition.
3. Gives student-athletes an opportunity to travel and gain life experiences.
In the "against" category:
1. Can lead to recruiting at the high school level.
2. Can undermine the teachings of a high school coach.
3. Takes players out of class during the spring and, if needed, the summer.
As for myself, I'm all for club basketball. It's something soccer was doing when I played in high school. Why not test yourself against strong competition? Locally, I don't see the things going on with club basketball that was discussed on "Outside the Lines." If Western Pennsylvania was more of a hoops hotbed, my opinion may differ.
Here's a link: