Saturday, June 23, 2012

APB, Where are they now?

With the NHL Draft held at Consol Energy Center completed, The Varsity Letters was reminded of the first player from Washington County ever selected.

And he was drafted by the hometown Pittsburgh Penguins.

An All Points Bulletin is being issued for Dwight LaBrosse, a McMurray native and ninth-round selection of the Penguins in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. At the time, LaBrosse told the Observer-Reporter, "I had no idea I'd get drafted by Pittsburgh. I can't believe it. I've had season tickets forever, since I was 7 or 8 until I left at 15."

LaBrosse was the youngest player on the U.S. National 21-and-Under team at the time of his selection and was the goaltender for the Guelph Storm of the Ontario Hockey League.
He played in 31 games with the Storm, compiling a 15-11-2 record with a 3.22 goals against average and stopping over 89 percent of the shots he faced.

LeBrosse struggled in the minors and, according to NHL.com, last played in 2003-04 for the Des Moines Buccaneers of the USHL. A Google search (yep, I fired up the old Google machine) showed LaBrosse has done some competitive fishing in recent years.

Anyone having information on LaBrosse is urged to contact The Varsity Letters.

No comments: